Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Not in the Mood

Lately I just haven't felt myself. I'm down in the dumps and just feeling plain, well, depressed I guess. It's affected my sleep, my ability to clean (which I guess is arguable anyway) and cooking. Is it the change of weather? Maybe, this is our first fall in Plymouth, and I'm a bit nervous about the winter, especially since we've only lived through the 'season' so far and lately I seem to have only run into crazies on the street. But I still find beauty in this place, even as the season is changing, and Z and I both love being able to walk where we want and have the water at our fingertips. We've also met some great people here, so it's not that either. I think mostly it may be that while I love staying at home, right now I don't feel completely fulfilled. It's like I'm stalled in some capcity, waiting for something to happen, although I'm not sure what 'that thing' is. Anyway, I HAVE been cooking and creating and all those sort of things, I've got a couple of recipes for you below, and I'll keep you posted on my funk, I'm sure it'll clear up soon!

Vino Verde with Peppermint
How appropos that I bring you this as my first recipe after the above mini rant. I made this one late afternoon, it was hot, Z was simply tempertastic and I had just bought a case of vino verde (fantastic for those sticky summer months-it's a new, green wine that has a bit of a bubble to it!). I was trimming my peppermint that had exploded and a sprig fell into my glass. I went to take a sip without looking first and was greeted with a fantastic peppermint sented explosion. I highly recommend this combo. It's light, beautifully summery, and exceptionally satisfying.

Bloody Mary/Virgin Elizabeth
I know, it's a little strange that I have two alcoholic postings in a row, but I'm recording my recipes from August, and the beginning was obviously a little rough :-)
My sister was visiting, and we both LOVE bloody mary's, especially if there are good accoutrements added. SO, I had purchased siracha pickles, as well as all the makings for a bloody mary the night before her arrival, and we went to town. If you don't know what's in a bloody mary, here is my version (per glass);
-1 shot vodka
-3 shots tomato juice
-1 teaspoon horseradish
-1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce
-1 tablespoon hot sauce
-1 squeeze of lemon
to garnish
-siracha pickles (3)
-nice stick of celery
-2 olives (I prefer garlic stuffed)
-lemon wedge
-2 cornichons
-dilly bean
Since we were making this in the presence of my daughter, we wanted to make her a special drink too, so we came up with this virigin elizabeth (obviously because they were sisters, and I'm a dork and love history).
-1 shot cranberry juice
-2 shots seltzer
-1 lemon wedge
-3 grapes
It was good, obviously not rocket science, and she loved it! She also had a red drink that had fancy things in it and we made a big deal out of saying cheers and clinking glasses.

Beet, Chicken & Peashoot salad
My husband had been traveling for several days and I needed a quick dinner to throw together for whenever he walked in the door (and we weren't sure when that was). I decided on salad and things I had in my fridge. Since I made my daughter chicken nuggets, I made a couple extra, and chopped them up and put aside. I then plated the lettuce (I use mixed with herbs) cut up an onion, tomato, some roasted beets and cheese. I put the chicken nuggets and pea shoots on top and voila! I quick and easy salad

Pasta with Sausage and Ricotta
Where I grew up, whenever someone wanted a quick and easy italian type meal, they would simply add ricotta. In a pinch it stretches the last of the pasta sauce, and creates a creamy, almost lasagna type meal. (Without the baking or the time). I was having one of those moments, where I had a half a bottle of sauce (I'm admitting to using bottled sauces) 1 sausage that had been cooked as part of another meal, and not a lot of inspiration. So I boiled some pasta, heated the sauce (I always recommend adding wine, additional fresh herbs and some cheese to created a heartier base to the bottled sauce) chopped up the sausage and then drained the pasta (leaving about 1/4 cup of the water to add to the sauce) and threw it all into the sauce. Once it was all incorporated, I added about a half a cup of ricotta and stirred, off the heat, until it had the consistency and taste I like. I suggest you taste and salt as you go. I don't like a lot of salt, but to each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment